Wednesday, March 27, 2013

On Our BookShelf



As I mentioned over the weekend, reading has been a dominant force in our home lately. While we are always reading, each of us seems to have a period where we consume, ingest more than your average number of books. Lately, it's been all three of us!

David--
  • Grace-Based Parenting by Tim Kimmel-- He started reading this thanks to a fellow dad in his Dad Connection class at church. David says he likes the "practical, reasonable application of Christian theology to parenting in a way that seems to address some of the issues I see in children around me." {I'm itching to read it.}
  • The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Minds by Nicholas Carr--"Very interesting read how we've outsourced certain thinking behaviors to computers. Training our brains to work less well without computers." {This book has actually been read by my husband, father, and brother. This hardly ever happens--especially since my brother read it first!}
  • Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky-- "A history of a common commodity, yet heavily influenced cultures around the world. To the point the vast majority of U.S. salt production is intended to be poured out on the ground for de-icing." {This is book is going on my "to read" list. I love books about Plants and People. It's a bizarre hold over from college.}
  • Approximately 17 comic books. :-)

Kristin--
  • Shepherding A Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp-- This book can be controversial.  However, I have to say that while I sometimes cringe at how Tripp approaches and explains things, I agree with just about all he says. I think that if one could read this and follow it by reading Grace-Based Parenting you'd have a well rounded, Christian perspective. It just requires some personal synthesis.
  • The Story Girl by L. M. Montgomery-- Known for her Anne series this stand alone story is as enchanting as all of Anne's antics. I am thoroughly enjoying this light, imaginative, and heart warming tale before bed.
  • American Girl Series-- I read these as a child, but the company has added several girls over the years with new stories. I've been particularly enjoying the tales of Rebecca (1914) and Caroline (1812). Not sure what I enjoy more--the story or the history. I felt the same quandary as a young girl reading about Molly, Kirsten, and Samantha!
  • May B. by Caroline Starr Rose-- Every now and then one encounters a book. I mean the character breathes and you breathe with her. The fictional events are so life-like blurring reality and imagination. This was my experience with May B. Written in verse, a quick read--especially since it was written for 8-12 year olds-- but what a story! I literally cannot wait until Tabitha can experience this tale.
Tabitha--
  • Boy + Bot by Ame Dyckman and Dan Yaccarino & Doug Unplugged by Dan Yaccarino-- These two robot tales have made several stays at our home courtesy of the library. They are to blame for the phrase, "Happy downloading Mom and Dad" being uttered by our two-year old and for her continued fascination in all things robotic. Anyone else thinking I might have an engineer on my hands?
  • Mercy Watson by Kate DiCamillo-- We've been through this series several times. Lately, we're attached to Mercy Watson Fights Crime. I never cease to chuckle when my little girl says, "Leroy Ninker" or "Officer Tomilello" or "52 Deckawoo Drive".
  • Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson-- I have read this book easily 300 times. Not to Tabitha but to many kindergarten and first graders when I taught. Sharing this tale and it's sequels with Sweet Potato is such a joy! We make funny snoring sounds, or try to predict what animal friends will appear next. The rhyming text makes it catchy to read and I love the complexity of the vocabulary.